Interactive map of the gardens at Ashridge House
Hover over the plus icons to learn more about an area of the gardens at Ashridge House. You can scroll down to see more of the garden.
Constructed in 1998 using wood from the garden and Ashridge Estate, this building was one of the proposals included in Repton’s initial plan, referred to as "a rustic seat in a grove", but not constructed by Wyatville.
The Bible Circle
A circle of incense cedars (Calocedrus decurrens), planted around a memorial to Gertrude, Countess of Pembroke, the eldest sister of Adelaide, wife of the 3rd Earl Brownlow.
Wellingtonia Avenue and Rhododendron Walk
The avenue of Wellingtonias (Sequoiadendron giganteum) was planted in 1858 on the axis with the house. The avenue has as its focal point the prospect mound believed to date from Tudor times.
Part of the expansion of the garden in the second half of the 19th century, the arboretum contains many specimen trees added to existing park planting. Trees include sweet chestnuts, Cedars of Lebanon and purple beech along with avenues of beech, Holm oak and Lawson’s cypress.
Herb Garden and Beech Houses
Created in the late 19th century as a herb and lavender garden. This garden was redeveloped in 2005 using the original pattern Repton had proposed for the Rosary. This garden is dedicated to the memory of Kay N. Sanecki (1922-2005), former Garden Historian and Archivist at Ashridge House. Next to the Herb Garden are two impressive beech houses.
The Moat and Skating Pond
A distinctive feature of the gardens, the skating pond was constructed before 1871, on the site of a fishpond, when Lady Marian Alford extended the gardens. The moat next to the pond originally contained water.
Perimeter Path and Lime Walk
A line of yew trees leading to the path surrounding the Ashridge gardens.
In part a recreation of the early 19th century planting style proposed by Repton. A replica of a statue of Bacchus that stood in the garden until 1928 has a prominent position in the garden. A large block of Pudding Stone in the garden marks the former county boundary between Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire.
Depicted on Repton’s original plan, a line of yews, possibly from the early 17th Century, together with shrubberies.
Dating from the mid-19th Century, when Italianate gardens were very fashionable, this garden was designed by Lady Marian Alford.
Statue of Queen Elizabeth
Replica of a statue of Queen Elizabeth I who once owned Ashridge House and spent time here during her early life.
Created in the late 19th Century, the Terrace takes the form of a box and yew parterre planted with seasonal bedding displays.
Eight rose beds and a central fountain are surrounded by a yew hedge and climbing roses. This garden was adapted by Sir Jeffry Wyatville from an original proposal by Repton. The Rosary was restored in 1999 and replanted in 2010 with a range of roses that reflect the mid-Victorian period when this garden would have been in its heyday. The Rosary is complemented by a topiary box hedge.
Taking its name from another proposal by Repton, the Monks Garden was created by Wyatville. The Monks Garden today displays an armorial design, developed in the mid-19th century, representing four families that have been associated with Ashridge. Clockwise from top left the arms represent; Egerton, Brownlow, Compton and Cust. On the north side of the garden, there is an impressive collection of old fashioned roses suggested by Graham Stuart Thomas.
Designed by Matthew Digby Wyatt in 1864. This replaced a previous glasshouse and was dedicated solely to growing ferns which became very fashionable in the Victorian era. Nearby is a terracotta-style seat by Blashfield.
The grotto area was designed in the form of an amphitheatre constructed with Hertfordshire Pudding Stone. There is a chamber to one side and a flint lined tunnel (souterrein) that links the grotto to the flower garden. The Mount above the grotto is believed to have been built with the rubble from the old house. The Cedars of Lebanon planted on top are believed to have been suggested by Repton.
The Dry Garden
This garden was created in 2002 and is a good example of a drought tolerant garden. The plants were irrigated when they were first planted and since then have had no artificial watering just relying on rainfall.
Created in 1972, this garden is the site of the former gardeners’ yard and is composed of heathers, conifers and maple around a limestone cascade and pool.
Planted in 1937 to commemorate the Coronation of King George VI, this unusual avenue of trees forms an impressive display of autumn colour.